This year we celebrate the 34th Anniversary of the Rhino Charge! You’ve all come here for a fun weekend so we have tried to keep all the rules to the minimum. However, this is a beautiful Rhino Charge venue on private land and our own personal ideas of fun must not, in any circumstance, interfere with that beauty. If you are in any doubt about what is or what is not acceptable, please ask one of the officials. In order to guide you on what is expected throughout this weekend, please read through:
This is to be done in designated areas only. Kindly comply with the instructions given to you by the officials and respective camp managers.
All visitors are expected to be self-sufficient in food and camping equipment or to have made prior arrangements with a camp operator. Bottled drinking water will be available from Aquamist Water near HQ. Ice will be available from The Iceman near HQ. Some toilets are provided at certain areas. Please use them and leave them in a clean state.
Please ensure you check in at the relevant information tent before entering the camp!
Litter is unsightly and dangerous to both livestock and wild animals. Please observe the following rules:
- Burn all flammable litter on your camp fire.
- Use the ORANGE bags for all plastic bottles.
- Use the GREEN bags for general biodegradable rubbish.
- Use the BLACK bags for tins, bottle tops, foil, glass etc
- Use the BLUE bags for tetrapacks etc
- PLEASE take these bags to the collection site which will be sign posted. DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN YOUR CAMP
- Do not BURY litter.
- Take particular care not to leave any sharp objects on the ground.
- Any litter not disposed of through the above methods should be taken home with you.
- Please leave your campsite as you found it. Failure to do so will lead to hefty fines and possible exclusion from future events. No exceptions.
Fires may be lit only in the camping area, with the following strict conditions:
- Clear a space around your camp fire, removing all potentially flammable grass and foliage.
- Do not leave your fire unattended, even for a short time. Cover fire with soil or sand when leaving.
- DO NOT THROW CIGARETTES OUT OF YOUR CAR WINDOW.
- STRONGLY RECOMMENDED: Bring at least 2 fire extinguishers to your campsite, and ensure that these are put in strategic areas (i.e. camp kitchen).
The Rhino Charge takes this form of pollution as seriously as any other. We would be grateful if you could maintain sociable quiet behaviour and adhere to the following rules:
- Loud music is strongly discouraged. If music is played, keep the volume turned low so as not to disturb neighbouring camps. Only authorised entertainment systems (DJ’s setups) will be tolerated.
- Power generators are discouraged. If they must be used then they should be placed well away from other camps and, ideally, placed in a pit to muffle their noise.
- No noise disturbance before 06:30 or after 19:30.
Only competitors and officials are permitted to drive off-road and only during the event. For all other vehicles the following stipulations apply:
- The maximum speed limit on the Rhino Charge venue is 40kph. Anyone found speeding or driving recklessly in the opinion of the officials will be asked to leave the venue. Competitors speeding will be penalised following the competition rules and regulations. Speeding is not only dangerous for you, your passengers and other cars on the road, but it also violates the rules of community conservancies in which the Rhino Charge usually takes place. For your own safety, please obey this rule strictly.
- Joy-riding is forbidden in all areas.
- Night driving is not permitted.
- Please bring your own fuel (petrol / diesel etc.) – NONE IS AVAILABLE AT THE VENUE. The last available fuel station will be marked in the route notes.
- All camping, catering and merchandising provided for your convenience at the event are being totally organised and run by individuals or companies on their own behalf. They are totally independent from Rhino Ark and Rhino Ark cannot be held responsible for any services or products.
- Only accredited retailers are allowed to sell their products on the venue in their designated areas.
- Firewood: Self Campers are advised to bring their own firewood and cooking fuel.
- Washing water is usually available at the venue. Information about this will be shared at the pre-event briefing.
Vehicle Pass – Landowner Access Fee (LAF)
The Vehicle Pass, known as the Landowner Access Fee (LAF) was implemented to benefit the local host community of the Rhino Charge and the fee goes directly to the community. The money is then used for community projects, such as the construction of a school classrooms or the installation of a borehole.
All Vehicles entering the Rhino Charge venue are required to purchase a Vehicle Pass – Landowner Access Fee (LAF) sticker at a rate of:
- Kshs 10,000 per vehicle (less than 6 seats)
- Kshs 20,000 per vehicle (between 6 – 12 seats)
- Kshs 30,000 per vehicle (13 or more seats)
Please note that the Vehicle Pass (LAF) sticker MUST be displayed on the windscreen of any car that enters the Rhino Charge venue. If any vehicle is discovered not displaying a sticker, they will be fined twice the normal LAF. The LAF can be purchased only through the online ticketing system. The voucher which you will receive will allow you to collect your LAF sticker at the entrance to the Rhino Charge venue. Please note that the LAF is not refundable.